Monday, July 30, 2012

Always Late

(7/28-7/29) Before dating Brian, I was on time or early everywhere I went, but over the past 6 years that's definitely changed.  I've given up rushing to be on time because, no matter how hard I try, we are always late.  The start of our Ireland trip was no different.
We were supposed to be at the Dite's house by 2, but we didn't leave our house until 10 minutes til 2.  Clearly we were going to be late.  I felt terrible about being late because this wasn't the way I wanted to start out the trip.  However, when we got to his parent's house, they weren't ready anyway.  I wonder where he gets it. :)  We finally got on the road and then got stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on 294.  Bumper-to-bumper on a Saturday afternoon?!  Chicago roads are the worst!
We made it to the airport, only to find out that the tram from parking lot E was malfunctioning and hadn't been running for at least 20 minutes.  I began to wonder if someone was trying to keep us in Chicago.  Is this a weird omen or what?  Finally the tram came and we piled in with a ton of other people.  Just before we got to terminal 5, the tram stopped and the conductor came on to tell us there was another delay and we'd have to wait several minutes.  Thankfully the lack of movement of the tram inspired the guy whose smelly armpit was far too close to my nose to release the handle he was using to steady himself and give my nose a break.
Eventually we got to the terminal, checked in after a short fight with the check-in kiosk, got through security and to the gate without too much trouble.  And we still had time to grab a quick lunch and make a pit stop before we were due to start boarding.  But . . . the plane was delayed coming in.  Of course!  Once we were in the air, the pilot came on to tell us that we'd be arriving at Washington-Dulles 10 minutes before our connecting flight was expected to take off.  Super!  United only flies to Dublin once a day, so we had to make that flight. 
We raced through Dulles from one end of the D gates to the other end of the C gates, got into our seats . . . and then waited 50 minutes before the plane took off because the flight attendant was trying to rearrange seats to a mom and her young son could sit together.  By this point, I wasn't surprised.  I was just happy to be on the way to Dublin

No comments:

Post a Comment